Friday, September 9, 2011

MGH Heart Walk - Saturday, Sept 10th at 9am


The Marion General Hospital hosted annual Heart Walk is this weekend - Saturday, Sept. 10th at 9am.  This is a FREE event put on my MGH to encourage people to have fun walking & get into the groove of exercising.  The walk is non-competitive, and is only 2 miles long, starting in the basement of the ACC building across the street from the hospital and going toward Matter Park and then turning around and looping back.

Walkers of all ages receive a free T-shirt, refreshments are provided (last year they had a light breakfast before the event and snacks afterward), door prizes are being given away, free blood pressure checks are available, educational booths will be set up, and low-cost health screenings (cash or check only) are also available (glucose, cholesterol, PSA, osteoporosis, colon cancer screening, etc.).

Okay - I did this event last year with my family, and it was great!  We were by far the youngest people there, but it was fun none-the-less!  I want to always set a good example for my kiddos about exercising, and I think events like this are a fun way to be part of the community and teach my kids about the importance of being active and living a healthy lifestyle.  I encourage you to go!  The whole thing only took about an hour last year, so you still have your whole Saturday left!  :)  And, if it is nice, you can walk AGAIN after it is all over to Matter Park & let your kiddos play.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment