Thursday, April 14, 2011

Aldi's Food - Beware of HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP!


I want to start this post by saying that I'm not out to get Aldi or anything, and also want to let you know that I shop there myself at least once a week.  I get milk, eggs, cheese, produce, and a handful of other things at Aldi on a regular basis.  I was turned on to Aldi when I moved to Marion, and was impressed by the affordable prices of most of their items.

However, in the last year and a half since I've been a regular shopper there, I have been increasingly frustrated/shocked/disgusted by how much CRAP is in much of their food (including their "Fit & Active" brand).  I believe that Aldi food is cheaper than most stores, but I believe that it truly comes at a price (pun intended), the price of our HEALTH.  

Almost EVERYTHING I see at Aldi that has a nutrition label lists HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP as one of the top ingredients.  What really pushed me over the edge was this morning when at Aldi I picked up a package of "All Beef" hotdogs and read the label, and the 3rd ingredient listed was HIGH  FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP.  Really?  In hotdogs????

Why is food at Aldi so cheap?  The government subsidises the production of corn, which leads to the production of cheap corn syrup,  and thus a cheap filler that Aldi puts in most of their food. 

And, in addition to HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, I'm frustrated by the fact that all of their items list ENRICHED FLOUR (flour stripped of all nutrients - NOT a positive thing, even though "enriched" has a positive connotation) as a top ingredient, and many of their items are very high in sodium. Additionally, quite a few of their items still have trans-fat.  Really, most of it is junk, junk, and more junk.  High in sugar, high in sodium, low in fiber.... everything that is bad for us. 

So, the purpose of my posting is just to remind you to be aware, whether shopping at Aldi or anywhere else - READ the nutrition label before making a purchase.  If it lists HIGH FRUCTOSE  CORN SYRUP, think twice about buying it, and if you can at all avoid it, do not make that purchase.  What we put in our bodies, and in the bodies of our families TRULY has an impact on our health.  My husband just was telling me this morning about an article he saw yesterday (for article CLICK HERE) that said that for the first time in our history, deaths due to LIFESTYLE choices outnumber the deaths from communicable diseases.  WE ARE KILLING OURSELVES with the choices we are making - choices to eat crap, not exercise, sit in the sun without protection, not drink enough water, not eat enough fruits and veggies, purchase and use toxic chemicals and add to the toxins in the air and destruction of our environment, etc.  We do not always have to be victims to our health - there are MANY things we can do to prevent illness and disease.... reading the labels at Aldi (& anywhere else) is just a start! 

Okay, off my soapbox for the day...

8 comments:

  1. Amazing it is even in the hot dogs! Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another reason why the fresh, organic food from Victory Acres is so appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought of this post when I read the the linked article.

    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/pesticide-exposure-in-womb-affects-i-q/?partner=rss&emc=rss

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't buy "Crap" at Aldi. Typically the food that I purchase there does NOT have HFCS in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have changed many of their items to not artificially colored less corn syrup and high fructose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did but have since added it back.. Check your labels now..

      Delete
  6. in 2023 ALDI has numerous foods without HFCS, their Simply Nature brand for instance. However some fruit juices contain HFCS still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's 2024 now, they are putting hfcs in lots of stuff. The Christmas gingerbread cookies etc. It's sad really. I doubt they do it to the German Aldis, but here in the U.S. it's happening for sure.

    ReplyDelete